PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA licenses?
Thread: FAA licenses?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 23:51
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICAO PPL or higher to PPL max in FAA now. It used to be also for CPL validation, stopped decade or two ago. I did not imply he'd get FAA CPL through validation (not counting Canadian fixed wing CPL maybe)

Oh, btw, if he had full ATPL or CPL/IR and did the test in Non-N-reg (one he'd be authorised to act as PIC, he would very maybe get away with having to do the full or validation PPL.

61.153 does talk about meeting the knowledge, flight skills, aeronautical experience etc, but I fail to see definitely saying that holders of foreign ATPL with different category/class cannot use that towards meeting the said part. It does not say which category and class, just ATP or foreign ATP.

I know it sounds crazy, but if the regs don't prohibit it, they should allow it, no?
61.123 - 2h (general eligibility for CPL) requires having at least PPL
61.153 - 3h: Comply with the sections of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

Anyone tried this special case in the past? Any FAA Chief Counsel interpretation/opinion anyone knows of? Food for thought.