PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotation and Ground-Effect
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2002, 09:50
vorticey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crab

i looked at your wood in the water theory, and i only seen a rolling of water laging behind and across the trailing edge in the wake turbulence. if i stalled the wood the rolling water comes up and rides on the back of it. theres two normal tip vortices. although i do know a soccerball curls the way it spins and if you throw a wooden ruler away from you horazontaly, spinning it backwards it flies up, but dont see wing in a vortex theory being a good one.

you said > this assumes that the wing is at the centre of a vortex spinning in a clockwise direction when viewed from the tip of the wing towards the root with the leading edge on the left.
this is the part i dont believe. smoke over a wing doesnot go around it.

and > The effect of the building you are talking about is recirculation which is nothing to do with ground effect.
i was thinking recirculation would be bigger in ground effect (at the same thrust as oge) and more-so a hill or buildings. recirculation is just a vorticey.

the presure is increased because the helicopter disk is just a compresser pump mechanism. if air cant get away, it compresses. if it is let go it will flow. anything restricting flow compresses the air. also reduced rotational flow due to ground friction (same reason wind vears or backs near the ground) increasing the inflow air speed reducing power required.
i rest my case.
gotta go, bit of wet season thunder comin'on.