PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot sues Virgin
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 22:51
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good time to bring to your attention what us old pilots suffer. Skin Cancer and bad backs are way up there, (there is no excuse whatsoever for any of you younger blokes getting skin cancer these days, oh and watch that area around the neck/chest when shedding the tie.) The other problem that can come up is varicose veins, as the sitting for long hours with the blood all pooled in the bottom half of your body puts pressure on your veins, the ones in your legs are bad enough but if you get them in your groin, well, what can I say that does not make your eyes water. More sinister problems showed up with the crews especially on the 747SP with a far more than normal rate of brain tumours, both malignant and benign, as well as a reduced fertility rate, this of course was shared by both CC and Tech crew. As I now belong to the retired blokes group we share our "ills" which for countless hours of flying have bequeathed us, so going on that info, I suggest a good sun screen always, plenty of sport and activity on down time, go consult a good chiropractor regarding a cushion to support your spine and never fly without it, get up a least once a hour and stretch hard, keep your weight down, sleep every chance you get, and everything you use should be on wheels, keep your stress levels down (hard in this world) and you will be fitter and healthier blokes than us at retirement.