PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 21:59
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGCA.

I know this will upset Silverstrata somewhat, but on the BBC Midlands news this evening Transport minister Justine Greening, visiting BHX today commented that with the runway extension and more long-haul destinations served, passengers from Heathrow might want to hop on HS2 and be at BHX quicker that using the Piccadilly line to London.
Are you (thus the Transport Minister) suggesting that people will fly into BHX to get to London?? I think not. Are international passengers going to interline into Europe via BHX? I think not. Are international passengers going to use BHX twice, after suffering a 35-knot cross-wind, which is usual at BHX? I think not.

As far as air travel is concerned HS2 will only carry passengers to and from either LHR or Silver-Foster.

And I hope that the Transport Minister was implying that people would fly in international to LHR, and then catch the HS2 to go to BHX in order to catch their 'domestic' flight to Denmark or some other small 'regional' place not currently served by LHR !!

What passengers want, is to fly in international into Silver-Foster, and find a nice little Flybe turbo-prop sitting at the 'domestic' terminal next door (perhaps under some code-sharing agreement with BA), and waiting to whisk them into Europe.