PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The worst security and customs ports in AUS
Old 6th Feb 2012, 21:41
Anthill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has improved in recent years. Some of the bloody-mindedness WRT customs has yielded to a more practical approach by staff.

In the past, both SYD and BNE were awful. Sure, there is a crew line at both ports, however, we have to share these with APEC travellers. This is not acceptable-all crew should have a dedicated line.

AQIS at SYD and BNE have, in the past, required aircrew to line up with everyone else. This is pretty much unique to Australia. Everywhere else in the world has a line specifically for crew.

In one instance in SYD, my crew and I had operated an international flight and then had to get over to the domestic terminal to operate from there. Despite showing the AQIS staff our rosters, we were all told (very aggressively!) to "..get in the line with everyone else. We don't give special treatment because you are crew". It took us 45 mins to get through customs. This attitude has now changed at these ports and AQIS have been fantastic in helping us out.

Which leaves MEL.... the very worst place for crew. Last time I was there it took 1hr 55 mins from shut down to walking out the the glass doors. Did I make my paxing connection? Of course not