PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 18:54
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To install something in an aircraft with an ICAO CofA it needs to be certified, and a navigation source needs to be more strictly certified than most other stuff.

I am not aware of a certified product for piston-level GA which meets BRNAV, other than

- an IFR GPS (TSO-C129 etc), or

- a KNS80, with antenna filters for FM Immunity

However, as I said before, you need practical RNAV capability and while there are KNS80 hacks which can navigate you to a straight line to a virtual waypoint say 200nm away (and do so in a manner which doesn't upset the radar controllers too much), a GPS is the only practical solution.

On a route like e.g. this you are likely to get several DCTs which are over 100nm and thus out of the DOC of the usable navaids. And that's before one gets onto the subject of most French VORs not having a co-located DME

There are no DME/DME solutions on the GA market. I vaguely recall some old-timer in the USA telling me Collins (?) developed a DME/DME / VOR/DME RNAV "GA" box in the 1980s but abandoned it because the introduction of GPS caused the bottom to drop out of the navigation market.

In theory you could install an INS in a light GA aircraft I believe somebody in the USA has done that... one out of some jet fighter.

Although MJ may have meant something by 'GNS' other than that which you inferred, Peter, you should not make bold statements like that.

You're too often wrong.
This forum is called

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

and "GNS" means only one thing in that context. Maybe there is an airliner FMS called GNS-something? I wouldn't know about that.

Anyway, frontlefthamster, please put in the time to point out whenever I am wrong and how exactly. As I told you before, I am happy to learn new things