PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2002, 03:39
giddy up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I am sure the larger international airports have decent security, I tend to think that some of the smaller ones are lacking.

I am a charter pilot in Broome WA. It is a smaller international airport accepting nothing bigger than the 737-800 for now at least. For those of you who dont know, we are the closest international Australian airport to Bali. We have a number of corporate jets coming through each year.

The other day, I had to go around due to children running around on the runway. Perhaps they thought the name "runway" implied something for them however, if children can find their way onto the operational runway un noticed who knows what could find its way out there. To get to the operational runway from the direction they entered from, one must pass directly past the RPT apron. It is all too convenient to make a quick diversion past the 737 sitting 100 metres away.

Terrorism wouldnt be too hard hitting in Broome as their is sod all here to blow up however, how many other more popular destinations around Australia have a similar setup??

When terrorists decide that its too hard to hit the big stuff, there is nothing to stop them from going na na in a smaller yet popular tourist destination such as Broome or any other such place.

How far do we need to take Airport security?? And should it be to that extent at every single aerodrome around the world??

My point is in short, Airports such as Sydney or Melbourne are very secure, but we are ignoring smaller destinations like Broome. These smaller destinations are not the most likely places to cop a dose of terrorism however, like Bali, they are an easy place to kill alot of people.

I hope Im not giving anyone any ideas.