PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 15:46
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank:

Does or could BE's business model include feeding the nation's hub airport? Is it just the cost of acquiring enough landing slots that stops Flybe offering feeders at LHR (bearing in mind their links with BA)? Put it another way, would an expanded, less slot-constrained LHR attract other UK airlines?

I think so. That is the primary role of an international hub, and the reason LHR needs to move and expand. I have used Flybe on many occasions for routes such as Manch to regional airports in Spain and Italy, where we interlined through Brussels of all places, if I remember correctly.

Ok, nowadays some unmentionable Locos go direct to many odd places in Europe (but I refuse to go with them, as a matter of principle.) But if not, you have to go via a hub.

So you could go via another European hub, like AMS or BRU. But you should be able to go via LHR, and you simply cannot at present - and I am sure Flybe would love to pick up more international traffic from a UK hub. With an expanded Thames-based Silver-Foster you should be able to interline through this new hub to many regional airports in Europe (picking up onward international passengers en-route).

Think of this the other way around too. A Frenchman wants to go from Lyon to Exeter. At present this is not possible through LHR as there are no Exeter-LHR flights. (In fact, to get from EXT to LHR, you have to go via CDG !). So the only option is Lyon-EXT via Air France and CDG. So UK airlines and UK Plc loses out yet again.

There must be so many similar interline connections that are not really possible through the UK, because there is no one large hub with enough routes and enough regional airlines to accommodate this traffic. And if regional passengers cannot interline, then think of the problems that international passenger have, if they arrive at LHR and want to go to the likes of Exeter or Lyon.