PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Level 4 testing standards
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 13:45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I took the Elpac test today ...and I passed it without a problem .. but I would like to express how pissed I am at all this ordeal with proficiency checks.. first of all - the way these tests are put together is a complete disgrace - It's been nearly 20 years since I'm in the ATC bussines (and almost 30 years since I started flying with the gliders) and the least i would expect from such tests is to promote the use of standard phraseology and what not - the test contents are full of phrases which are definitely non standard (e.g. "...we are passing flight level TEN FOUR ..." so that ten four should stand for FL104..etc) What the **** !!!!???
These Elpac tests are IMHO the memory tests and not ENGLISH PROFICIENCY ones.
The second grief I have is about the rumours I've heard about certain "bigger" countries - ICAO foundation "fathers" (especially some of the "tipical" ones, whos pilots quite often have problems with the usage of those 25 or 30 standard aviation phrases ) who allegedely granted Level 5 or 6 to all of their licenced personel concerned... Now I don't know if that is true, but if it is - that is a total disgrace of all the international aviation community - and a BIG slap on the face of so called "higher standards" they are trying to achieve with this charade.
Knowing the skills and so "called english proficiency" of my coleagues at work - most of them got Elpac level 4 btw - and listening to some of the pilots "struggle" with plain and simple readbacks to the standard phraseology we use and are quite strict at my unit - how on earth they scored level 5 or even 6 - if the rumours are correct !!!!!!????
There - I put it off my chest - I feel better now

Play it safe!