PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Danger with Rapid Rotations
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 11:34
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have in other recent threads been advocated strongly that people look out the window when completing the final part of the approach. By that I mean stop looking at the instruments (except for airspeed) and maintain lateral and vertical path by looking at the touchdown point at below 300 feet latest (weather dependent of course).

Apparently, the need to look out the window needs to be emphasized when it comes to takeoff as well.

When PM calls V1, I have a confirming look myself and thereafter only look out the window until established in the climb, completing the takeoff by going back to the instruments and adjusting pitch to maintain V2+20.

By looking out you have a complete feel for how the aircraft is reacting to the rotation and adjustment is then much easier. Plus it makes spotting drift and maintaining centerline much easier as well (from lining up behind departing aircrafts apparently a discipline that few care about in these days). The feel for the right rate is much easier to spot in a real 3 dimensional world, than on a 2D instrument.

To look out the window you have to be seated properly at the designed eye reference position. All too many are seated completely wrong, too low and too leaned back (but I guess they think this increases the coolness factor ).