PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Boys- BBC 1.
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 11:00
langleybaston

Received 732 Likes on 255 Posts
Very few of those of us on the ground in England during the war saw, and now see, much wrong with carrying the war to our equivalents in Germany.

Our previous house [we moved a few miles just before war] was flattened, I spent many nights in shelters and in village halls, I was personally shot at by a front gunner on a tip and run, and my father flew his barrage balloon [Fighter Command oddly enough] over Coventry during the infamous raid. He saw sights that night that scarred his dreams for the rest of his long life.
Later in the war I was without my father for three years [North Africa] and I saw more V1s going past than you could shake a stick at.
When D Day came and the armadas flew over, there were people crying with joy in the street. We made no distinction between Germany and Nazi Germany, and it is a somewhat artificial distinction: until the bombs fell in the major cities, I believe the German on the Potsdam omnibus was all for knocking off little England.
War is war, scruples are for afterwards. I feel that, if you weren't there, you don't have a valid viewpoint.