PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I mad?
Thread: Am I mad?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 09:15
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started flying young but struggled with lack of funding. Same old story. Eventually qualified but ended up out of flying for a while. Came back to it though in my mid forties and actually got my first job. Not an airline job though. So the pay is derisory to the point where my wife subsidises me.

While it is true that inexperienced pilots over forty do go onto the likes of Aer Arann and for Air Contractors. They are the exception and usually have funded their own TR. SVoa mentioned good contacts, in Ireland it's the only way but no guarantees.

Another issue with your age is that you will struggle with the exams. That applies all the way through the experience right through getting your TR. You will always be a bit behind all the young pups. Same with the flying. It just takes that bit longer to learn everything and then re-learn it when you forget.

When I came back to flying even with previous experience of a CPL/Multi/IR and nearly 400 hours. I couldn't fly straight and level or turn or keep a heading. I persevered and when I flew my CPL renewal flight test. I was so convinced that I had failed that walking across the ramp afterwards. I was considering my options away for flying. When the Examiner said I had passed, I was almost casting doubts on his judgement. However he was right as it turned out. I am damm good But even with all that experience it was hard to get it back.

Anyway my point is that you WILL struggle. There's no doubt about that.

But as others have said if you really want it. Go for it, but have no illusions. Also make sure your wife has no illusions either. My wife no longer has any, let me tell you.

But one thing, you will enjoy the flying. No doubt about that. But is it enough?