PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Innocent 747 Pilot Dubbed 'Security risk' sues BA
Old 6th Feb 2012, 09:09
Poltergeist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting views to which I would like to add mine.
The biggest issue here is the action of HMG. If it is as reported and quoted in the tribunal, BA had little choice. Told by the Home secretary that there was a risk and Government did not want him flying but would not order it. BA then could ignore it and the duty of care they have for passengers, other crew and people on the ground or act on it and be accused of poor judgement, procedure etc.
I am no fan of WW but I think he acted in the best way in the circumstances and took the responsibility.
Mrs Smith however, showed the streak of self serving fear by sloping shoulders knowing that BA would be in a difficult position.
For those arguing about prosecution, there are a number of reasons why sensitive cases do not get prosecuted and not all due to the state of the criminal justice system. Many cases are not prosecuted in order to protect information sources or there is a bigger picture being viewed.
British Airways will take the hit either way in this case unfairly in my view. As for the Pilot, I have a great deal of sympathy for him however I do not see what else the company could have done.