PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Independence
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2012, 02:10
The Stimulator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomJoad
Seldom, you're seeing monsters under the bed, its exactly the same rules used for UK Westminster elections and the world still turns. Some would argue there will be more democracy involved in the process of the indie vote than the process that took us to war! But that's another argument
TomJoad,

Unfortunately it's not going to be the same rules as for as Westminster Election; I could vote in one of those, but even as a proud Scot (by parentage, birthplace, and residence until last month) under the SNP proposals I will not be able to vote in what is one of the most important votes in my countrys history.

It seems totally wrong to me that the model used for any upcoming referendum isn't one that allows as many Scots as possible to vote on the future of their country. Given that no referendum will take place until 2014, and that it seems there is time to include 16 - 17 year olds (no attempt at currying favour with the young there at all obviously) there must be time to work out a more sensible voting model that will allow expat Scots to vote. Who knows how many of us are just longing to come back home when conditions (ie employment opportunites) are right.