PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2012, 22:29
airbourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sitting in my armchair I must express my disappointment at the lack of success of EI on some of their routes. Leaving aside the SH routes I look to the LH routes.

2 flights a day to JFK from DUB. No brainer, that works. But why was EWR dropped? Although that is a major CO hub it allowed them to come in and mop up some nice traffic from people that do not want to use JFK. Albeit on a 757, this is something that CO have done quite well is use the 757 on the thinner routes.

As has been said, its the paddy routes and Orlando. The thing that gets to me is the lack of the major selling point of DUB and SHN and that is the immigration! Like, how great is that, get off the aircraft, get bags and go! No long lines at the end of a 7-10 hour flight! I would sell the bejaysus out of that 'perk'.

In terms of selling the EI brand, all you have to do is look at the sponsorship of things in Ireland and the UK by airlines. Oh great, EI can sponsor the Capital London breakfast show for the LGW launch, but Emirates will sponsor a premier football team! I feel when I look at Aer Lingus, its all about the short game with them. If it is not an instant hit, they pull it. Start small, build and develop. Sometimes I wonder is the planning done with a blindfold and a pin the tail on the donkey?????

Do you remember the excitement last year when there was talk of a return to the west coast? There was interest alright, but not from EI. Does anyone want to take a bet that we might get UA operating a SFO-DUB route in 2012/3. What is the smallest aircraft type in UA's fleet that could do a non stop service and turn a few quid?

Who am I? Im a nobody except an aerosexual with a PPL, and even I can glance at the LH product and wonder aloud why EI cannot make routes work with passengers, and cargo alike. I wonder aloud why 2 airlines can fly to the UAE and make money and EI was in there before them and they couldnt make it work and pulled out.

Final point that someone pointed out was the american carriers and their onward connections. Does the EI/Jet Blue alliance not work well enough?