PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I mad?
Thread: Am I mad?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2012, 21:19
Bumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trayman,

I would say, with a young family and just enough cash to get yourself through training, stay where you currently are.

There are tons of people out there with 250hrs and they all want that job. Not only that there are also a lot of high-time qualified people out there as well. Spanair, Malev and Astraeus recently went bust, all these guys are now out there looking for another job.

If you were to be one of the lucky few to get hired out of flight school, you'd probably end paying for your type rating as well, with companies like Ryanair, that's another £25000 to add to your training costs.

If you are not hired on to a jet or larger type TP after training, expect to stay on small pistons not earning very much before moving up to bigger planes.

All in all, in my opinion, with a young family to support, it's not worth risking it.

My advice would be to take a trial lesson, see if you like it, possibly get your PPL and keep flying as a hobby.

These are just my thoughts though, and I'm currently just a private pilot working my way up the ladder with a goal to one day get paid to fly. I'm sure there will be others around with a different opinion, but ultimately it's up to you and your family. Good luck with whatever you decide.