PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do ex-military aircraft engineers think of their civvy job?
Old 5th Feb 2012, 19:46
Kengineer-130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having left the RAF in the last year, and done my B1 & B2 licence modules, I am currently contracting as a mech for my years experience.

I find the Civvy world a MUCH better working enviroment than the RAF. Sadly I have to say the quality of the standard of engineering I have seen is much higher than in the RAF, where the airforce has cut and cut the skillbase of the general aircraft tech, the average civvy is adept at everything from deep structural repairs to stripping engines.

The working ethic is pretty similar, and you actually get ASKED if you want to do overtime rarther than get told, and you get the nice bonus of being paid for your overtime!

The other major difference is that lack of skill & knowledge can no longer be hidden behind a rank, I have seen a number of people in the RAF with a very poor understanding of the job they are paid to do, as Rigga says, you will get found out VERY quickly in the real world if you don't know what you are doing.

I have found it quite a steep learning curve to be honest, but if you ask questions & use the experience around you, you will be fine.

Would I go back in the RAF ( I did 12 years)... Not a chance, it is amazing how much the system holds back excellent engineers who are no good at politics or sucking up to the right people .... Incidently there have been a couple of ex-forces guys I have worked with who still thought they had a rank, and were above the normal "mech" work, both got shown the door rarther quickly!!