PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop command or jet F/O
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2012, 16:56
sorvad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to quote Piltdown Man

"I'll have to quote a former training captain who I greatly respect, a guy called Dave Fisher. He said "You never turn down the chance of a command"."

This 'one size fits all' advice really isn't very helpful...there are just too many different personal circumstances at play...this thread sits very well with the "Ezy Captain or Virgin F/O" thread also on this forum.....the best advice Ive seen is to get in with the airline you want to spend your career with at the earliest possible opportunity..to do that you need to see what their requirements are...I would guess most legacy carriers..indeed almost all career jet airlines would prefer jet time regardless of seat over LHS turbo prop time...the only time LHS T/P time will stand you in good stead would I imagine be some sort of contract T/P job.

If on the other hand you like it where you are and want to progress from within, then I would take the command on the Turboprop...it will be a more fulfilling job sooner and, hey, if you have no wish to move on then what anyone else wants doesn't come in to it.

The bottom line is One mans meat is another mans poison....I love doing long haul and wouldn't change it for anything...a mate of mine has been flying turboprops for years and likes the more personal feeling of a small regional airline...another works short haul A320's on northern base and is happy as a pig in SH£t, so don't let anyone else's preconceptions lead you astray...do what feels right for you and no-one else

Last edited by sorvad; 5th Feb 2012 at 17:14.