PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concerned
Thread: Concerned
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2012, 16:48
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GrobQueen had started another thread about this on Military Flying, but seems to have pulled it.

by Grob Queen
Quote:
Hi all,

I don't usually come here, I am a PPL student so have no relevance to your forum. However, there is a thread on there called "Concerned" where the OP has moaned about..well, firstly a Typhoon which now seems to have metamorphosed into a Herc!! (shows how much knowledge there is there on RAF aircraft )

Anyway, there is some issue over this military aircraft infringing Civvy airfield airspace over Balado airfield. I would be interested to know if any of you guys have any views on this discussion. It seems very one sided, the RAF are the "bad boys" and my counter arguments are just poo-pooed (maybe correctly, I don't know). To give you some background, I am learning to fly at an RAF flying Club so know a small amount of RAF flying procedures (but only a very little..i'm not pretending I know even a tiny part of what you guys know ) ; all my flying has been done from military airfields so far. I am also a civvy who works on said Station and have been working with the RAF all my career and very pro the service!

I suppose I am just interested to see the take that you chaps and chapesses would have on this issue.

TVM
GQ

Having given GQ the following food for thought, the thread has been deleted.

The post in the other forum clearly relates to three incidents. Not date specific, but sometime in the past few months.

1) A Typhoon overhead the Balado microlighting site, where the Typhoon may or may not have been in r/t contact with Microlighters. The reporter for this "incident" was at home and is not aware of any co-ordination that may or may not have been in place. He tells us that the Balado CFI is concerned but there is still the possibility of the Typhoon having spoken to some traffic in the circuit.

2) A C17 at the edge of the zone, no further info.

3) A C130 passing inside the zone without talking to Perth.

There is an allegation, by a long time PPRUNER and qualified pilot, that the C130 was at 300 feet well inside the ATZ not talking to Perth. How this height/range estimate was arrived at is still unexplained.

Although the C130 is alleged to have been 800 metres away at 300 feet, there is no information on which Air Force it belongs to.

Grob Queen is the only person seeing an anti-RAF stance here, the other contributors are simply trying to establish the facts and prevent danger. Nobody is whinging about RAF flying, D.O. is just reporting an airprox as the C130 is alleged to have infringed the Perth ATZ. A civilian aircraft doing this would be just as worthwhile reporting, but to the UK Airprox Board, not to PPRuNe!
Let's hope we can get this back on track for making Balado & Perth safer and away from being wrongly described as an "RAF bashing" thread.