PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAIL on ITT scale - CJ1+/CJ2+
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2012, 15:44
TheiC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm struggling to remember the numbers (70 or 80 lbs on first introducing the fuel springs to mind, and about 140 when stable), but I would suggest you watch some normal starts and see what you get - then, if you see something different, you know that you may be about to have a problem. Acceleration is another matter, but try counting the N2 numbers 'out loud' but silently, every 10% or 5%, and get comfortable with the cadence...

My own drill is as follows, again, if the grey matter is functioning:
  • before start checklist complete
  • area clear
  • ground crew signals
  • check visually from flight deck
  • press start button, check electrics look correct
  • 12% N2 and some N1 rotation, put the fuel in
  • check fuel flow
  • monitor light-up
  • monitor acceleration, fuel flow, and ITT
  • (monitor starter disconnect, having worked out beforehand whether you'll deal with a problem by memory or from the QRH)
  • check stable (with a green light if not a + aircraft)
I also notice some people have a finger hovering over the starter disengage during start (I even had one experienced chap move his finger there rapidly just after we put the fuel in, which was a bit of a shock!). This has always struck me as a very bad idea, as the very last thing you are going to do is press that button in a hurry. One hand on the throttle, with finger ready to operate the gate, ready to take the fuel out, but the other resting on your lap or operating the stopwatch, if your SOP is to time your starts.

While there are strengths and weaknesses in doing your training on an aircraft rather than in a sim (and I don't know which applies to your operation), a definite strength of the sim is that start malfunctions and abnormalities can be trained effectively without hazarding the aircraft.

Hope that helps, and also that someone will correct me if my memory is indeed not up to scratch today!