PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was/is your favorite airplane to fly?
Old 5th Feb 2012, 14:32
BEagle

Received 323 Likes on 115 Posts
Shame - you have cropped your pic so we can't see which part of the circuit you were in.
Top banter, JF!

I recall a mate bringing a Jaguar to Valley as no.2 of a pair - the leader was due to give a presentation on the Jaguar to our Gnat course.... Not long out of Valley, said mate used the normal visual circuit cues and admitted to me that he'd had to go into afterburner to persuade the buffeting pussycat around the turn onto final!

The presentation was a disaster. Despite having been warned not to do so, the lecturer pressed 'back' on the slide projector and all his slides shot out onto the floor. So he then stuffed them back into the slide carrier in any old sequence and ad-libbed as he went along... But then came the final nonsense - he tried to play some Telford camera HUD film without having asked for the Telford converter. So the whole film was 90º out and he suggested that we should lean over to watch it....

Nicest aircraft I've ever flown? Difficult to say really. Hunter 6 was nice, but had a dire fuel system and no nav kit - its power controls would have been better with Q-feel. Gnat had good nav kit, was an utter delight at low level, but twitchy in formation - it also had very little fuel, could be tricky to land and wasn't terribly reliable, so you had to know your emergency drills very well indeed. Hawk was pretty viceless, but the ones I flew had a truly woeful compass system and a primitive gunsight - they were also directionally less stable for weaponeering than the Hunter. But both issues were later sorted out though, or so I gather. But what idiot didn't specify offset TACAN??

As far as big aeroplanes go, I've only flown the Vulcan and VC10, both of which were so different that it's hard to compare them. Both were classics.

As for smaller aeroplanes, the Chipmunk was very nice indeed, as was the Bulldog with avionic upgrade. One of the nicest overall though, was probably the Jet Provost T5A.

Nastiest? That appalling heap of junk known as the Jetstream T Mk1. An utterly dreadful, poorly harmonised, overcomplicated and noisy device - ETPS said that the C-130K would make a good lead-in trainer for the wretched Jetstream!