PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to Fly (Merged Feb '12)
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2012, 11:02
muten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuckgear, what a nice explanation.

Originally Posted by kolob666
How about some realistic expectations. It's a well known fact or at least was when I went into flight school that your first few jobs would be crap pay, and you would have to sacrifice for a few years before you got the pay off of an airline job that would make it all worth while.
Brain surgeons don't get to skip internship because they have some cash laying around, lawyers don't make partner in a firm by throwing cash at the other partners, Christ, even a backhoe operator doesn't pay his boss for a promotion from dirt shoveler to get his position, they are all earned by hard work and dedication.
What kind of person would denigrate his chosen profession by paying to skip steps to get ahead, and ultimately laying the ground work for his future managers to degrade his conditions of service. When I take a management position 15 years from now and I see from your cv that you payed to fly, I will offer you half the salary I'm paying others, and you will take it because if you don't there will 100 behind you that are now willing to pay to fly as captains for free for 6 months or a year just to get a leg up on the competition.
Ok, I get your point, and I don't want to sound as if I were an advocate for the P2F, but the problem in aviation is that if you start from the bottom, you get light single engine, light twin... and climbing the ladder medium twin turboprop if you are very lucky... go to the websites of the companies and see by yourself how useful is that. Mostly it doesn't matter if you have 3000TT in light twin, you are in the same pool of experience as the 200TT with 20 in twin.

Your example is how the things should be, but the problem in aviation is, you start doing the ****ty stuff, and that won't guarantee the experience for the next step. I wouldn't mind to begin my career being a bush pilot, but the lowest requirement most companies ask to begin with is the TR on their a/c and 300 hours jet, now tell me where can I get that experience climbing the ladder unless I enter a company with a fleet of lights, turboprop and jet. (The same applies to turboprop, unless you have previous experience, you won't get the right seat by just having 3000TT in light a/c)

EDIT: Look what I found in another thread

Finally I got my opportunity flying turbo props. Of course now I have a new complaint, I'm stuck flying turbo props! I have nearly 5000 hours, ATPL, 2500 hours command on part 23 and 25 aircraft, TRE certificate and nobody with shiny jet aircraft will look at me because I dont have enough Jar 25 time, or EFIS time or 1000 hrs plus on medium jet. The list is endless. I have never failed an IR, TR or anything, I have great references but I can't get my foot in the door.
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-job...ml#post7000932

Last edited by muten; 5th Feb 2012 at 11:47.