PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of JAA PPL in the UK
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2012, 10:49
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLP I kept a cost of mine too, everything including fuel to and from the airfield. I started on March 12th last year and including the night and IMC rating spent £9320. I'm not including a spare headset that I bought in there or the GPS as they aren't strictly neccessary (I can use a club headset as a spare). The PPL itself cost just over £5800.

If you include the 10 hours that technically you need P1 before you can do the IMC then add on another £1000.

Paul I was 55 before I took the plunge into powered. I'm a glider pilot, have been for decades and was quite happy with that. I could afford but could never justify the amount of money needed to fund not only the PPL but to continue flying afterwards. I'm not a career pilot, it'sjust a hobby. No it's not, it's a way of life but you get my meaning.
Then you get to the point where the kids have fled the nest, no mortgage, the odd pension fund kicking in here and there and from having enough money you go to having more than enough so that's basically how I funded it. It's just what would otherwise be beer chits.

I would suggest if you're constrained financially that you look into gliding, or live in a bedsit and live on beans. If the desire is strong enough you'll find a way.