PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Health Question for Current Crew
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 20:26
Matt101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I'd drunk too much but there really are X's everywhere has PPRuNe gone x rated perhaps?

I'm fairly sure my nether regions have started glowing after these few years in the air. Couldn't tell you if it was cosmic radiation or a captain who doesn't like me turning the weather radar on when I am doing the walk around though. Maybe I will have mutated children who can control magnetic fields with their minds and such. X Men you might say - oh look an X again....

Seriously I hear a lot of health related issues from all crew but in fairness I don't think many of them are specific to the job. Back injuries are fairly prevalent where we ignore the training because we are human and telling the 90 year old dear she has to put her own bag up is not in the nature of most crew who are, by and large, people orientated.

There is some debate over cabin fumes in certain older types, I don't know enough to comment but I think a lot of the other things are not caused by flying alone. Cabin Crew have a quite physical job spending long shifts on their feet and those trolley's are not at all light or easily maneuverable which presents some risk I'd have thought. Radiation stuff though I think is a bit of a myth as the numbers really don't add up.

The biggest health risk though is probably the passengers (no I don't mean that in a rude way). Everyone onboard is a potential incubus of viral plague and current sickness policies often put ill crew off reporting sick as well. Proximity to so many people so often probably does increase your chances of catching some comunicable diseases I guess..... but personally I only get the average amount of colds etc in a year. They usually coincide nicely with my leave.

Anyway back to the vino which is the source of (and answer to) most of my problems

Oh and since changing from crew to flight crew I have gained weight - cabin crew seem to delight in feeding me up! I am now on the salads