PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - air accident investigation
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2002, 16:52
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I've not yet been tempted to work for them (well not tempted enough) but I've had the privilege of working with AAIB on a number of occasions.

AAIB inspector is not an entry-level job, they recruit Engineers who are at IEng or CEng level, or ATPLs with a lot of experience. In practice, many of the ops inspectors seem to have a good grasp of Engineering, and almost all of the engineering inspectors have at-least CPL level flying knowledge and experience, if not the actual license. That is what you're looking for here, if you are pre-PPL and lack at-least an Engineering degree then although I'd say it's a thoroughly worthy aim, it's not going to happen next year.

Without doubt they are a very professional organisation who, if it wasn't for the obvious reason, I'd say I've always enjoyed working with. If you can find a route in, I doubt you'll regret it - or at-least not often. But, I would regard it as a "next job" after building up credible professional experience elsewhere, rather than something you can aspire to early in your career.

NTSB in the US is a much larger organisation with a very different way of working that lends itself to graduate training schemes (or whatever the Yanks call them), frankly AAIB isn't.

If you are a glider or hang-glider pilot, those organisations (BGA / BHPA) have small teams of (largely unpaid) accident investigators who are partly trained and resourced by AAIB, that might be a route to gain some relevant experience.

G