PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turboprop command or jet F/O
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 13:12
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a whole variety of reasons, the best decision I ever made was to take a turbo-prop command. The transition from LHS turboprop to LHS jet was simple. And that was because of the previous command experience. And as Cap'n PS has pointed out, you make each day your own. You set the mood and tone of the day and with only a small amount of effort your crew and yourself can have a really good day at work. Amongst the people I work with there are probably only two or three names amongst the 140 or so I'd prefer not to fly with. Enjoying your day at work is priceless.

Shiny jets are only bits of equipment. The same Mk.I knob can be installed in any seat. But if you are sitting the LHS you can (or rather should) control the day, but it is a lot more difficult from to do so from the right.

Obviously there are lots people who have jumped at the right time and end up ahead of former colleagues but I'm sure that their are also many people like myself who have benefitted over senior colleagues by taking "a crappy turboprop" command.

To close, I'll have to quote a former training captain who I greatly respect, a guy called Dave Fisher. He said "You never turn down the chance of a command". And with hindsight, he was right. I'd certainly feel a lot more vulnerable being in the RHS in a jet during a recession than I would in the LHS of a turboprop.