PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malev in financial trouble
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 11:45
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mention FlyBE but, so often, LoCo's only operate at inconvenient (wrong) times of day for both business and leisure travellers alike
Timings can only ever be as good as the route offered at the time. The key difference is that locos use their equipment more intensely - but all airlines will want to be airborne as soon as poss in the morning, and maybe locos will keep running a bit later, but that's sometimes as much down to the airports as anything else.

by example if, as I did, one is travelling LON/BUD/ODS one would like to depart LON at a reasonable time of morning to arrive in ODS at a reasonable time of afternoon/evening and vice versa.
I agree entirely - but how long you spend in BUD - or now PRG or WAW is going to extend your day just as much as when you depart LON or arrive in ODS.

Unfortunately, these are still niche markets - otherwise there's be routes there from the usual connections hubs that also have good, often multiple daily feeds from the regionals - esp AMS, CDG & FRA.

In the meantime, TK do IST-ODS, fed from BHX, MAN & various LON, but I haven't checked timings.

MALEV had a few sizes of B737, they obviously needed them to, well atleast make the effort, operate route(s) cost effectively, Ryanair and Wizzair both, each, operate just the one type of aircraft(s) restricting their route viability.
Very true, but they both serve some incredibly random seeming routes with their 189 seaters! If they would otherwise be oversized, they drop frequency, or take a hit on yield.

I haven't done a route count of where MA went compared to the 31 routes FR have launched - is that map recent? DUB & ORK?

Also, if their LON airport was LGW, I'm sure BA can take the extra slack at LHR, but wouldn't MOL want to take on Easy @ LGW?