PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malev in financial trouble
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 10:04
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never mind the Boeing/Airbus sized operation, Malev also previously operated F70's and more recently Q400's and CRJ Pocket Rockets .... the likes of Ryanair and/or Wizzair are only in business to shift in bulk and from point to point.
That's a fair point, but I would still wonder how an airline would come together with a business plan to make a hub operation at BUD work.

How many hubs are there just using those aircraft - AND providing meaningful connections? Perhaps the old Sabena were somewhere up that street - I recall going through BRU once and there must have been getting on for 10 146/Avros queing up for take off. They also offered very fast connection, and even put us cattle up towards the front if we needed a speedy one.

BUT - that operation was horribly expensive. Does even the re-re-re-launched Brussels airlines make money? I was in Berlin, in the queue for the Reichstag and desperate to see the new dome before I headed back home. I remember calling them and asking what time check-in would close for their flight from THF. 'Oh Mr J, about 20 minutes before departure - try and be there by then if you can, give or take 5 minutes'.

Flybe have the kind of fleet you mention, and they've recently really started pushing the connections they send via CDG + a few of their own routings. Obviously, they've done the Finnish deal.

Something for them perhaps?