PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - here goes nothing
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 09:16
SunnySahota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Ginger Ninja
I was talking about all the training, from PPL to MCC. The PPL alone comes up to just shy of £7,000 I think

@talkpedlar
Thank you for your input. I totally understand what you're saying with regards to the type rating route with FR. This is by no means my plan, it was one of the two most talked about options, so I'm trying to find something a little different, which doesn't involve paying £30K on top of everything already invested in the training itself.
The earliest I would start my training would be 2017, because I/We intend to save up for a large deposit on the house before I even think about starting my training. So at the time of commencing the training, we should have around £140K saved by 2017/2018, of which £50K would be for the flight training and the rest would be for the house.
And if at the time I feel that the market/industry is in the same or worse state it is in now, I'll be more than happy to abandon the full flight training, pick up the PPL with the IMC and Night Ratings, and buy a small plane locally to fly around in. That would most likely still be within the £50K budget

But again, I appreciate you taking the time to reply and give me your thoughts

@ElitePilot
I agree with what you say with regards to not knowing where the economy/industry will turn next month let along over the next 4-5 years, and this does make planning for the future a little harder. However, in saying that, I would be willing to take on any type of flying job, for it is FLYING I wish to do, and as such, not being in the RHS of a 737/A320 doesn't phase me. So like I mentioned above, even getting a PPL with the bells and whistles attached to it would be sufficient to keep the flying itch satisfied
Also, going the modular route means if at the time of training, the industry is in much the same sh1t it is now, I could utilise the PPL and possibly instruct until better times are upon us, and then continue. I know of several pilots that spent around 2 years doing their PPL initially, and then went on to complete the training via the modular route and get onto the airlines.
Granted, this was back in the early 2000's, but it just shows that integrated isn't the be all end all of flight training.

I have considered the OAA integrated route, but decided it wouldn't be fair on the other half. While I would certainly have the funds to pay for it without taking on a loan, I don't believe for a second that using the majority of our savings on flight training and leaving a small amount for a deposit on a house would be fair to say the least.

The modular route allows us both to make our dreams a reality (me with my Pilot training, and her with a small cosy house somewhere up in Slough lol)

Again, many thanks to everyone for their contributions, much appreciated

I just saw the time you guys replied. Does PPrune never sleep?