PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 04:05
nazca_steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBadanov,

Good notes on the B.20 and 21. Have to agree with you on the strange decision not to change the numbering when GAF made the uprated batch, but I suppose it all adds to the enjoyable confusion that is the international Canberra

I am in touch with a former 2 Sqn nav over at the Canberra Crazy - Login forum who has some cracking war stories from Vietnam. Just as with the Argentines and Rhodesians, I have a lot of respect for the Aussies and their usage of the Can. As you point out, another country that only flew with two crew. Seems that despite the 'book' seeing the need for three crew initially, Petter had it right from the start with his original B.1 design that it could be done with pilot and nav only. Very interesting about Sky Dump (Skyspot) and blind bombing, and of course your RAAF stats on accuracy and minimal losses compared to B-57 crews are worth noting. That said, I am not making a truly fair comparison considering the USAF role for the Can was more of an interdictor-bomber, and in no way meant as a sleight on the American crews who were bloody brave and professional too.