PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rafale wins Indian order
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 02:05
Q-RTF-X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK governments appear to have been concentrating on being a good European since joining EU, and have largely turned there back on Commonwealth countries.
Fair enough, but UK can't now, when convenient, resort to status of valuable friend when it suits them. A case of making your bed and lying in it.
What a load of Grollocks - The UK has of course been trying a good European, but I feel the thought they have "have largely turned there back on Commonwealth countries" inappropriate and simply not correct.

Maintaining focus on India, I feel certain that successive British Governments have been supporting India in many ways and non the least in terms of financial aid (despite the latter increasingly going into the face of public opinion).

Even if the UK were not a member of the European Community they would still have to pay a lot of attention to what was going on in their own back yard, common sense dictates such. I don't see the government turning their back on Commonwealth countries (even in places where a republican sentiment periodically rears it's head) though often there may not be a lot of visibility in what is going on. I'm pretty sure that on a government to government level the same rapport continues as before and if a need becomes evident and if the UK is able to assist, then I'm sure assistance in one form or another will be forthcoming.