PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2012, 00:45
BBadanov

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Steve: On some Cans I've seen little fans in the cabin for the pilot and nav, mounted on the coaming in some cases
Steve, you may have seen 229 in California, that had the fans. We had them - if memory serves me correct - in all our aircraft, the B.20s and T.21s. Operating in a tropical environmenmt, we needed them.

Just worth noting here, the B.20 started production in Australia based on the B.2. The first 27 were basically B.2s, with what we called Avon Mk.1s, limited integral wing fuel tanks (total was 14.6k LB), and bugger-all avionics. The remaining 21 B.20s were based on the B.6, with Avon 109s, increased integral fuel (all up 17.6, and 21.6 with tips) and Green Satin and GPI mk.4 (I think). Before deployment to Vietnam in a USAF wing, we had added TACAN, UHF and armour plate for pilot and nav.
I always thought it strange the upgunning from B.2 to B.6 didn't warrant a new designator - it would have been B.22 at that stage.

The T.21s were a mixed bag, and didn't have the T.4 solid nose. Two were modded from the ex-RAF B.2 prodn pattern aircraft, and five were modded from the first B.20 production - so all had the clear bombaimer nose.

Note, RAAF always operated the bomber with 2 crew - pilot and nav, not the 2 navs the RAF strike/attack aircraft had.

Lot of fun the Canberra - 2500 hours in five and a half years, those were the days!