PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad A330 straddles runway edge lights in low vis takeoff at AUH
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 17:33
Mr Good Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another exemple where the TO runway was not properly identified! Is it too difficult to press the LS push-button to check you're well on the LOC?
Will people ever learn?
"it-will-never-happen-to-me" is the last thing I will say and think. I just observe and try to do my job with the high standards I've been trained to; but believe me I have seen and see in the cockpit nearly every day I fly very few people Identifying seriously and propely the TO runway; yes, in Asia, training standards are getting very low sometimes...Young FOs and Capts on big aircraft more and more...
On the other hand, that's true, we don't know all what happened that day in AUH.
Whilst I fully agree that the runway should be properly identified, can you please clarify three points for me?

(1) A low visibility takeoff may not always be made from a runway with a radiating CAT II/III localizer - so what would be your procedure in this case?

(2) Exactly how do you identify the runway properly? The RAAS may tell you that you are on the correct runway but you may still be on the edge lights... Also, you may not see the runway ID numbers as you have lined up further down the tarmac.

(3) How does being a young pilot on a big aeroplane equate to lower standards? Surely you mean a less-experienced pilot on a big plane?

*Any tips for a young, self-confessed less-than-perfect skipper would be much appreciated, thanks