PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 17:19
Pindi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I joined the Canberra force from training in 1954, flew it for 4 1/2 years on T4, B2 and B6 and enjoyed every bit of it. It was a delight to fly and at the beginning it out-performed most of the types Fighter Command could launch against us on exercises. Its achilles heel though was the awful heating/cooling system. After an hour or so at or above 40,000 ft everything in the cockpit was covered in rime and it stayed that way until it began to melt during the let-down, drenching the nav plotter's charts unless he remembered to put them away. For sorties of 3 hours or more we were each given a couple of chocolate biscuits and a small can of orange juice and if one delayed opening the orange juice for three hours or so it was frozen solid. Operating the Canberra in a tropical climate was probably worse. One was soaked through with sweat by the time the checks had been done and then frozen at operating height. Nevertheless, we got used to it but in this respect it was certainly a young man's aeroplane.
I'm not sure that asymmetric in the Canberra was entirely the bogey which seems to be its legacy and I suspect that conscious lack of practice played its part. Quite early on I decided to make an asymmetric landing as often as I could and it gave me enough confidence to be much less windy about the lurid tales of others who, I suspect, steered well clear of asymmetric except when a check ride forced it upon them !