PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple iPhone apps - navigation
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 17:09
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hello!

No; look at other threads on this. It's to do with the accuracy of the GPS receiver, aerial quality, position of aerial, what happens if it loses signal, &c. All of these are handled 'properly' on a 'proper' aviation GPS, even a handheld; not so much on the iPad. Better if you add an external GPS receiver, but still some way off as yet.
Does that conclusion result from your own experience or from contributions you read on aviation forums? Because after experimenting with the iPad for the last couple of months, my experience is the exact contrary. I have been using aviation GPS units since 1992 (when I borrowed a Garmin 100 for an Atlantic crossing in a piston twin). Anything from handheld to FMS integrated. The iPad so far is the most accurate, reliable and fast acquring device I have tried (in the bizjet and in the PA28). We now have one installed in the cabin of my boss's Citation as an inexpensive passenger information system. It displays an accurate position (+/- 10m) within seconds after powering-up inside the aircraft inside the hangar (and the passenger windows of a Citation are rather small compared to any SEP!). Our GPS and VOR/DME based FMS only displays "no GPS position" inside the hangar! And the way the iPad handles a loss of signal or uncertain position only depends on the software installed, not on the device itself.

Happy landings
Max