PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - here goes nothing
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 12:21
SunnySahota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here goes nothing

Hi to everyone and anyone reading this.

I'm going to skip the part about my dream of being a pilot, etc etc etc...

About me:
I graduated from Brunel University (in West London for those that might not know about it), with a 2:2 in BSc Financial Computing. I'll be the first to admit that the 2:2 isn't exactly thrilling, but ironically it got me my current job 2 months prior to my graduation
I work as a Network Engineer for an IT and Telecoms company in London. Been on the job for about 6 months now and enjoying it. I'm getting paid which is the important thing, because No Money = No Pilot training.
I also have an awesome gf/future-wife who will be helping us save up (helping me with the pilot training and us with the deposit for a house)
We both work 2 jobs at the moment and will do for the next few years.

Our plan:
Now this is the part I would like to get some feedback on.

We're looking at saving (with the help of my wife-to-be) around £2,000 a month for 4 years, at the end of which we should have clubbed together, (not considering interest earned on savings), £96K.

I'm looking to do all my training modular (currently eyeing up Stapleford), and after taking all possible costs into consideration, the training (no TR) works out at around £44k, with £52K remaining (no interest has been taken into account yet, so it will certainly be more than £52K). That £52K can be used to put a deposit down on a small house.

During my training I will retain one of my jobs part time, or most likely try to secure an airside/airport job along the lines of a Baggage Handler, etc...

So that's the plan. My question is, what are my options are finishing my modular training? The two I can think of are;
- Flight instructing
- Type Rating for Mr O'Leary

What other options do I have available to me?