PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning for new Solo pilots
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 11:14
Learjet-45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning for new Solo pilots

Hi there,

I thought I would share a recent experince I had in the circuit, it was only my second ever Solo, off runway 19 however about 45 minutes in ATC advised of arunway change from 19 to 14 Left.

now if you are new to solo flying this can be quite alarming as you are trying to just get used to the feeling of being alone, and although most would not have a problem with a runway change, it certainly would not be prefernce on your 1st or 2nd Solo.

any how on turning downwind for Runway 19 I was told to follow the Cessna in late down wind, about a few seconds later ATC advised the Cessna and myself in a Cherokee that we were to make left turns and join downwind for runway 14 Left.

again when your new to solo flying it is not ideal to have a runway change!

however I reported to ATC that I was on downwind for runway 14 left when I reached about mid downwind just to check I was in the right position.

ATC seemed surprized I would report this, but I would rather have them surprized than me be on the wrond downwind leg.

I turned on to Baed leg and had lost sight of the Cessna in front of me, ATC asked if I had the traffic in view, I replied I have lost sight of traffic, then out of nowhere I saw the Cessna directly below me as we both turned final!!! obviously they could not see me because of the high wing, and I could not see them at the 1st instance because of my low wing!

ATC immediatley asked me to climb out of the circuit and go around! which I did and then landed safley after completing another circuit.

I am not sure who is in the wrong here, my immediate reaction was the Cessna has taken a longer downwind leg and we have crossed paths that way.

The moral to the story is it was a close call! it could have been worse had ATC not noticed and I descend on to the top of the Cessna on Final!

I would advise any new Solo pilots to be extra aware of the circuit if there is a runway change, and dont be afraid to let ATC know where you are and what you are doing, if in any doubt go around climb out of the circuit and make yourself number 1.

Thank you for reading