PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A life on the ocean waves
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 09:52
Kreuger flap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have also personally witnessed pilots landing on the deck of a frigate even smaller than the one you describe you saw and in sea conditions far far worse than those you describe and we have seen in the clip. Not only was the sea state 100 times worse, not only was the landings done at night with the pilots eyes shut as it was so scary, but they were also carried out up beyond the Artic Circle in conditions that could freeze your eyes shut unless you were wearing heated goggles. We are talking temperatures as low as absolute zero here people.

Furthermore the aircraft I am talking about was a much much much lighter ultralight that was definitely more challenging to fly, although please do not think I am attempting to belittle the skills of anyone that flies our modern day magnificent flying machines.

However once the ultralight touches terra firma or terra steel the air crew will have to wait until eight aircraft handlers run out onto that swaying deck and secure the aircraft with old bits of string and in the example I am talking about...... where the deck was not covered in acid it was covered in THICK THICK ICE! (The sulphuric acid was used to prevent ice from sticking to the ship's superstructure, but sulphuric acid on a flight deck is NOT a good idea)

Please note that I am NOT blowing my own orchestra, I am also NOT saying what colour uniform the pilot wore, and I am NOT attempting to belittle ANYONE. My comments and posts are made to highlight\congratulate all those that fly these machines in conditions where some civilians might have nightmares when they just look at them on a 50 " OLED 3D TV screen in the comfort of their cinema room.