PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Private Pilot
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 09:22
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tgarrelts: I know how you feel. I have trained many pilots and even the brave get nervous early on.
I now find myself in that situation as I take up a new and some might say dangerous hobby. The way I approached it when I was teaching and the way I am going to approach it is as follows:

Anyone can fly a helicopter, believe me, it is not difficult. But what sorts the men out from the boys is how they manage the malfunctions.

In your case, I suspect you are actually nrevous about being detached from terra firma and not knowing the consequences of what if something seriously goes wrong - you can't simply pull over into the lay by and hop out!

Solution: Seek help!!!

By this I mean find someone who is very experienced with helo's and get them to talk you through the worse case scenario's.. The worst (in your case) is an engine failing. [There are much worse scenario's but they are easy to deal with as you then become a passenger on a one way trip].

Better still, get an expert to show you engine failures/autos until you can do them blindfolded. Get them to gently explore your aircraft and show you its limitations. Overall, get a feel for your a/c until you know it inside out.
Then you will find your nerves dissipating.

Time is the answer, there are no short cuts. Take it slowly and don't cut corners in aviation - or you will regret it.

But find someone who you trust to take you around the flight envelope of that particular aircraft and keep throwing it at the ground until happy .

Aviation will then take on a completely different colour and dimension.

ENJOY...you lucky person.