PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about spinning
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2002, 10:04
mike_beresford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit off-topic, but Genghis's comment about spinning not being covered properly on his university course is quite interesting. I'm not a flight test professional, but I originally trained as an aero engineer and recently completed my PPL. When I did my degree I had only rudimentary "intro flight" type experience, and I found that several aspects of flying and handling had not been covered by my university training

- Spins: We covered the aerodynamics of a spin, but only briefly discussed recovery. We were simply told "stick forward and simultaneous opposite rudder". In practice my flying instructors placed great emphasis on using rudder first then stick forward, and also on the need to minimise height loss during spin and recovery. The latter aspect was totally ignored on my university course. Now that I am doing some basic aerobatics, the situation changes again: emphasis on precise amount of rotation and exit attitude.

- Trim: The action of trim controls was discussed, but the extent to which they are used during flight came as a surprise. Even at the time of my degree I had the feeling that trim was not emphasised properly. I had obtained a copy of "Handling the Big Jets", where Davies discussed trim changes for swept wing aircraft with fuel burn. This was not touched on in our course.

- Rudders: We covered the basic aerodynamics behind rudders, but I hadn't appreciated the extent of usage. It seemed that instructors were forever saying "use your feet".

I might be back at university next year doing an M.Sc, and it would be interesting to see if the undergraduate course has now changed to include more information on real flight.

Blue skies
Mike
-