PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EE Canberra book contributor request
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 18:32
longer ron

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Hi Steve
The Nav MAY have been Flt Lt 'Slim' Pocock and the a/c MAY have been B2 WJ677...looking on the ejection website gives a date of either 13/15 march 1973,I am on slow pc away from home...will email you on saturday if I get home.

Cannot remember any real problems with the T4 swing seat,sometimes it was tricky to get them to lock in the central position but as long as you had a 'Pig Sticker' to lock the stick fully forward it was reasonably easy.

A T4 story...late shift and dark,we are on our lower parking bays nearest the rwy threshold,our neighbours (360sqn) T4 touches down (WJ866 ?) and taxys clear for after landing checks,suddenly we hear a 'thump/bang' sort of noise closely followed by engine shutdown.
So we drive down in our landyrover to see if we can help (ie be nosy !!) as we arrive at the a/c - the crew door opens and instructor gets out in a cloud of smoke/dust and we also notice that the Navs hatch is looking a little crumpled around the edges
We ask the instructor ''what happened ?'' ---he just points at the nav compartment and says ''pressed the wrong fukcen switch''.
I believe that the Nav was an FAA observer (360 was ,as you know- RAF/RN) and his punishment may have been a shipboard posting.
But to be fair to the nav involved,I believe it was easy to make the wrong hatch selection in the dark and blow the ring of explosive bolts around the nav hatch .

rgds LR