PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA to cut 13,000 jobs
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 15:57
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Count Niemantzarr:

"As soon as an airline outsources its engineering to save money. it is time to stop flying with that carrier".

That is just about the biggest piece of rubbish that I have ever seen on pprune.

I came out of the front of the "Stable Inn" in Bangor, Maine on 26 May, 1979 hoping to complete my final "sign off" on a Laker DC-10. I was flying with the Chief Pilot. We saw on the front page of the local paper the famous Chicago photographs of N110AA with an engine missing about to hit the ground at ORD.

Your memory is obviously crap. (I was going to say defective, but you are talking bulls*it).

In order to change a CF-6 engine, it was necessary to offer a specially designed hydraulic trolley underneath the engine before disconnecting the engine from the pylon. The pylon could then be diconnected from the wing.

The totally wonderful American Airlines maintenance team concerned had figured that they could get more time in the pub by putting a forklift truck underneath the engine (which weighed a little bit more than your weekly Tescos shopping) and then disconnecting the pylon from the wing and taking the whole thing off in one piece.

The same team had created cracks of up to 30" in pylons using this wonderful process in at least three other aircraft.

AA maintenance were entirely responsible for the N110AA disaster.

Tell me again that outsourcing maintenance is a hazard?