PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTL - Consecutive Earlies/Lates/Nights.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 10:25
stop, stop, stop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTL - Consecutive Earlies/Lates/Nights.

Can someone please help me.....

I am trying to wrap my head around the following paragraphs of CAP 371.....

'Acclimatised'

When a crew member has spent 3 consecutive local nights on the ground within a time zone which is 2 hours wide, and is able to take uninterrupted nights sleep. The crew member will remain acclimatised thereafter until a duty period finishes at a place where local time differs by more than 2 hours from that at the point of departure.

7 Additional Limits on Flying

7.1 Late Finishes/Early Starts

7.1.1 The conditions set in this paragraph only apply when a crew member is acclimatised.

7.2 Sleep deprivation, leading to the onset of fatigue, can arise if a crew member is required to report early for duty, or finishes a duty late, on a number of consecutive days. Therefore, not more than 3 consecutive duties that occur in any part of the period 0100 to 0659 hours local time can be undertaken, nor may there be more than 4 such duties in any 7 consecutive days. Any run of consecutive duties (Late Finishes or Nights or Early Starts) can only be broken by a period of not less than 34 consecutive hours free from such duties. This 34 consecutive hours may include a duty that is not an Early, Late or Night duty

My question relates to time zones, and what happens if you are not acclimatised.

For example:

I am rostered 7 days in a row, and start off acclimatised to my Home base.

I operate a night flight and end up in a different time zone which pushes me out of the 'Acclimatised' definition above...I am no longer 'Acclimatised.'

The following day (24 hrs rest) I report at 08:45L....which is 06:15 (Local to Home base) and fly back to base. (really trying hard not to give the game away here!!!)

Is this flight classed as an early...or a day flight?

I jump right back in the seat that night and do the whole rotation a second time.

There are more duties too...but the return flight to home base is the one I am worried about.

My concern is that Local time can't be used after a 24hr Layover because I am not acclimatised to that local time.....Anyone?

Complicated?.....oh, boy! My head is spinning.....