PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Vs Airwork
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 04:48
baswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with aora, it has NOTHING to do with safety here's why, using situations as example:

Situation A: One of the engineers, whose job it is to do engineering, says to boss: I have a PPL, why don't we get a 206, me a and 5 of the the boys will fly there, do the work and fly back, saving us a lot of time.

Situation B: Same guy works at a fishery and offers to fly some prize catch closer to town quicker.

A puts 5 innocent lives at risk and is completely legal because he's only transporting employees to the place of work. He does not need a CPL because he has not been *hired* as a pilot nor is an AOC required because it is a private operation.

B puts only himself and a box of dead fish at risk, but the company needs an AOC and he (possibly?) a CPL because he's carrying goods for trade.

Similarly, an acquaintance of mine would love to use an aircraft in his equine AI business, but legally can't because technically he's transporting goods for trade and not only that, people would hire him because he's got the aircraft and can get the stuff to them fresher and quicker. So it would be charter! He only wants and needs a little RA-Aus STOL aircraft...

That is complete and utter madness!

I agree a line needs to be drawn, but at this point is is being drawn in completely the wrong location.