PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots- would you recommend aviation as a career?
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 04:41
corporate-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a bit "hit and miss" with regards to the quality of employer but you could get that with just about any job. I don't disagree with much of what has been said on these forums, but there are still excellent jobs to be had out there.

I have a great employer, I get paid very well (I have done since day 1), fly well maintained aircraft to some interesting places, the management do a great job and respect us as professionals, we in turn have the same attitude towards them leading to a very pleasant working environment. Stress levels are low, we're are never under any pressure to "go", in short I've now had almost 2 years of "flying nirvana".

Yes I self-funded my training, but I never got beyond my means in terms of debt. I saved hard for a few years and borrowed a small amount to finish the training. That unsecured loan will be paid off within the next few months. Certainly no "lifetime of debt" for me, but that is because I was careful early on and saved.

I'm one of the lucky ones who looks forward to work every single day.