PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA plane lands at Accra with runway blocked?
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 04:24
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Penko,
Based on "been there, done that", I'm with you.

The actual case was a Philippine Airlines A-300 ran through the end of 06 at Manila, wound up with it's nose on the South Super Highway.

With suitable information supplied, including the height of the fin, with the nose gear folded up, nose down, we used normal obstacle clearance gradients to calculate the reduced runway available for landing, and landed. QED.

Many years ago, a PanAm B707 went off (just) the end of 34 (now 34L) at YSSY. It sat there for quite some time. The fin was removed very smartly to reduce the height of the "critical obstacle" , so the reduced EOL was minimized.

Many will recall a B747 that went of the end of 15 at Kai Tak, if my memory serves me correctly, the fin was blown off, but the rest of the aircraft was there for some days.

Tootle pip!!

PS: The actual experience ---- it took local officialdom several days to finally raise a NOTAM re. reduced length, the first NOTAM (after we landed) just said what and where, and left it up to operators, as to what they did. We departed 24 the following day, downwind, and had no control over blowing crap all over the poor sods getting ready to retrieve the A-300.