PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots- would you recommend aviation as a career?
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 00:06
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I still believe that flying for a living beats the hell out of a 9 to 5 office job, I will be having a very serious talk with any offspring I have about any decision to enter the industry.

To be honest, the "dream" is not worth the crap that young pilots have to put up with. Commercial pilots and their licenses are professional qualifications, and while not quite akin to a profession like medicine, it non the less requires a life long attention to your field in order to stay current and safe; a fact that many companies take for granted.

Pilots, unfortunately, have done this to ourselves. By that I mean the second we began to take flying jobs for free or agreed to work for a lower wage than the other guy just to get the job is when management noticed it had monkeys to work with. This won't change either because to a junior pilot just the idea of flying, never mind being paid for it is intoxicating.

The issue is only getting worse too as pilots coming from school have an understanding that it is their god-given right to command an aircraft without first gaining experience which compounds the issue when management tries to rein them in through "performance management."

Long story short, it would take a massive change in both the culture of management and pilots for me to actually suggest to any child that they consider aviation.