PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C152 vs Tecnam 2002
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2012, 13:28
B2N2

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
You must be Joking or someone is ripping someone off? A simple aircraft to a simple aircraft with 5 hrs conversion time!!!

You can almost do a single to multi engine in that time.
Not if you want to do it right that is.
I have flown the Tecnam with 9 students/customers with various degrees of experience.
I would have signed off only two of them for solo rental after one (45min-1 hr) flight. One is a 10K hr Airline pilot the other has 600 hrs of which 200 hrs Pitts.
One student I flew with i would have soloed in the thing with another hr of instruction. He had 27 hrs and just soloed on a DA-20.
The remaining six would have needed anywhere between an additional 3-6 flights prior to solo rental. And yes these 6 are all rated "pilots" with either a PPL or PPL+ IR.
One of them got me in a spin entry after a botched panicky stall recovery.
The Tecnam is NOT a benign aircraft like the C150-152 series. It has light "twitchy" controls and drops a wing with very litle provocation.
It has very little enertia due to its low weight so speed is lost very rapidly in steep turns when distracted. Same applies for landings and go-arounds.
Despite the fact that it looks like a toy aircraft it is perfectly capable of killing you.
I have spoken at lenght with a rep from the insurance company, his verdict:
people that do a 1hr check-out we will hear from garanteed, people that are smart enough to do a 12-15 hrs transition training course we will never hear from again (in a good sense).
So I was being kind with 5 hrs.

Until you have actually taught ab intio it is hard to appreciate how quite simple small changes can initially discombobulate a new student.
True words......