PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2012, 12:12
Torquelink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would he move? All he wants is enough space for BA and partners to serve the world, that's not 100% of LHR capacity . . .
He doesn't want to move but, if you accept that London's future as a world financial hub will be jeopardised by a deteriorating level of air service compared to elsewhere, then it's more than just what suits BA. If I was WW, I'd be happy mopping up all available slots at LHR, knowing that I was growing a share of an artificially restricted market leading to higher yields so why would I move? That's why for the Thames Estuary Site (TES - formerly known as Boris Island) to succeed, LHR will have to close. I recognise that that in itself is full of mind-boggling implications - Ferrovial, jobs etc but there's no point in progressing plans for TES if this nettle isn't grasped and WW or his successors will have to be sufficiently incentivised to accept it. This would be a 50 year project and some relatively short term issues will need to be seen in this context.

And who will compensate all the home owners in the area and M4 corridor + West London whose property will drop in value?
Wot - all those home owners complaining about aircraft noise blighting their properties?!