PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Android Aviators
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2012, 09:47
Fanjita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looked at the Naviator site but so far I can not see much of European data? How good is Naviator for Europe?

I use Airspace Avoid and Pocket FMS (on the PC) which makes a pretty good combo. I understand as well that Airspace Avoid will get a lot of flight planning functions before too long. Right now, any flight plan saved in Pocket FMS on the PC (V1.6 or higher) will automatically be available for AirspaceAvoid (recent version) and displays there. Good start.

I do hope that Jeppesen will finally port at least Jep View over to Android. Now that the 10 inch tabs are out, there really is no reason for them not to unless they are in bed with Apple. In which case I do hope someone else comes up with a solution for Android.

I use the Galaxy Tab, the 7" original one, and am very happy with it. I also tested Airspace Avoid on a cheap chinese Tab (A81E) and it works just fine. Out of an old Yoke mount I attached the universal kind of connector which allows to connect a bracket for both of them to have them in the plane. Once Airspace Avoid can do the flight planning and tracking as well, that will mean good bye to the Garmin 296 which keeps loosing signal.
I actually think it's a fantastic app, but the EU charts are very lacking. Although all the important waypoints are present (VOR, DME, Airfields), and you can even direct to on ICAO code or even just airport name, the charts are very basic. Only 3 colours indicating towns, land and water, towns are just a splat on the land. Really not enough to navigate with visually, although you could get direct to headings and vor track quite well.

I have contacted the developer twice now, and he has said on both occasions that there are 'copyright' issues which prevent it happening. I fail to understand how this developer is facing these issues when there are many other apps using CAA charts (mainly for iOS mind you) and even their own made charts (airspace avoid). I don't know if anyone else requesting the same would tempt this developer, but it's got some fantastic features and a more detailed chart would top it IMO.